Recipe: Spanish Tortilla
The Spanish tortilla is a traditional potato and egg dish from the Basque country, a region in Spain that is well-known for its cider. It can be eaten hot or cold and pairs well with a fresh salad, fresh veggies or olives; a perfect part of your cider brunch table. We recommend pairing this with a Spanish-style cider, such as our Sidra de Nava, which is available only at our Bottle Shop, or a dry cider like Michigan Brut.
- 700 g waxy potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 350 g onion (thinly sliced)
- salt, to taste
- 8 eggs
- Preheat a non-stick or well seasoned cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, potatoes and onions to pan.
- Cook slowly over medium heat. If potatoes begin to brown, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir potatoes as little as possible, but allow to cook through.
- Remove cooked potatoes and onions from pan. If needed drain olive oil and clean up any bits stuck to the pan.
- Mix eggs and potato/onion mixture, season with salt. Return to pan with olive oil. Cook over low heat until eggs are set. If needed, finish in a preheated 325°F oven.
- Allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.